News Courts

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Girl wants new probe into alleged sex assault by garda

Paul Williams Special Correspondent

Published 12/04/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Woman wants new probe into alleged sexual assault by a garda
Woman wants new probe into alleged sexual assault by a garda

A YOUNG woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted as a child by a serving garda claims the incident was covered up through a botched investigation.

  • Share
  • Go To

The woman claims she was six when a colleague of her garda father abused her.

Both men are still serving members of the force.

She claims that the investigation into her complaint was flawed because it was conducted by a senior officer who worked with both her father and her alleged attacker.

Last night it also emerged that the original complaint and the subsequent investigation were not recorded on the garda's Pulse system, which she alleges was done in an effort to cover it up.

Now 22, the woman claims she told her parents about the abuse when she was 14.

The allegations were reported to the gardai in the same divisional area where the alleged assailant and the girl's father worked. A file was sent to the DPP, who later decided that there was insufficient evidence with which to charge the garda.

The alleged victim has claimed in an interview with the Irish Independent that the man was not formally arrested and the complaint was not recorded on the Pulse system.

It is mandatory for gardai to record all criminal complaints on the internal computer database. Failure to do so is considered a serious breach of discipline and procedure.

The woman has demanded that her investigation be re-opened in the wake of allegations by the garda whistleblowers that a dossier of cases, including rape and assault offences, was not properly investigated.

She wants her case looked at again in a similar fashion to those being reviewed by Sean Guerin SC, on foot of a dossier of alleged systemic garda malpractice compiled by whistleblowers Maurice McCabe and John Wilson.

The woman is also seeking a meeting with Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin who brought the whistleblowers' file to the Taoiseach's attention last month.

"I don't think the people who were involved (in the investigation) were impartial," the woman told the Irish Independent. "I honestly think that it was just brushed under the carpet which is why the incident was not even recorded on the Pulse system. The investigation was a farce," she added.

The young woman added that she is seeking legal advice about taking a civil case against the garda authorities and her alleged attacker.

"The whistleblowers controversy brought back to me the whole anger about what happened to me and reinforced the reason that I hadn't originally come forward because I was afraid of not being believed."

Last night, a garda spokesman said that he could not comment.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News