Garda investigation after death of two-year-old girl Heidi
Gardaí are investigating the death of a two-year-old girl who died as a result of complications relating to methadone toxicity.
A coroner heard how Heidi Douglas O'Reilly, of Rathsallagh Drive, Shankill, Dublin 18, died on April 19, 2016.
An inquest into the child's death was opened and adjourned at Dublin Coroner's Court.
The inquest heard that Heidi died in the paediatric intensive care unit at Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin.
The cause of death was brain damage due to oxygen loss and was formally recorded at post-mortem as hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy due to cerebral hypoperfusion due to methadone toxicity.
The autopsy was performed by pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan.
Gardaí are investigating the child's death, the inquest heard.
An application for a six-month adjournment of the inquest was made to allow for an ongoing investigation.
A file is being prepared for the Director of Prosecutions and gardaí will be making an application for the toxicology results of the autopsy report, the inquest heard.
Garda Alan Conlon gave evidence of his role in the formal identification of the child.
He said the little girl's mother, Sadie Douglas, formally identified her baby prior to post-mortem examination.
The child's parents were present in court and were visibly upset during the short hearing.
Extending condolences to the family, Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane adjourned the case for six months until February 10, 2017.