News Courts

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Gangster Eamon Kelly’s son died from drug binge after his father's funeral

Gareth Naughton

Published 05/02/2014 | 08:12

  • Share
Eamon Kelly pictured in 2010
Eamon Kelly pictured in 2010

A son of slain crime boss Eamon Kelly died from drug-related injuries three weeks after his father was shot dead.

  • Share
  • Go To

Eamon Kelly Jnr (41) from Furry Park Road, Killester, Dublin 5, died at the Mater Hospital on Christmas Eve, 2012, nine days after he had been found unresponsive at a friend’s house having taken cocaine, benzodiazepines, opioids and cannabis.

His father, a convicted drug trafficker with links to the IRA, was shot dead as he walked near the family home on December 4, 2012.

At the inquest at Dublin Coroner's Court into Eamon Kelly Jnr’s death, his friend Donal Lawlor said that the dead man had been “down” after his father's funeral. “His father was his idol,” he said.

The court heard from his brother Paul Kelly that the dead man had been trying to get off drugs at the time and had been doing well but relapsed.

He was found collapsed at Mr Lawlor’s home in Ballybough, Dublin 3, on the evening of December 15, two days after his father's funeral. Mr Lawlor told the court that Mr Kelly was on a number of tablets for different issues and he had seen him taking them throughout the day.

He left the house at around 5pm to go to the chemist and when he came back his girlfriend told him that Mr Kelly looked “very pale”, he said.

cold

Mr Kelly felt “very cold”, he told the court, and she began mouth-to-mouth and heart massage immediately while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

Mr Kelly was not breathing when paramedics arrived at the scene, however, they found pulseless electrical activity and advanced resuscitation was commenced resulting in the return of spontaneous circulation.

He was transferred to the Mater Hospital where he was admitted to the intensive care unit and subsequently weaned off mechanical ventilation but it became evident that he had suffered a significant brain injury as a result of oxygen deprivation during the incident.

His condition deteriorated until his death on December 24.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell told the family that a sample of blood taken when Mr Kelly was admitted to hospital tested positive for benzodiazepines, opioids, cocaine and cannabis.

He gave the cause of death as multi-organ failure and hypoxic brain injury due to the toxic effects of the drugs in his system at the time of collapse.

He said that there were no suspicious circumstances involved and no evidence that Mr Kelly had intended to harm himself. He returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

hnews@herald.ie

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News