A 15-YEAR-OLD boy, who beat a Pakistani national with a metal pole during an unprovoked gang attack in Dublin, will be spared a criminal conviction and custodial sentence if he stays out of trouble for the next six months.
The boy had pleaded guilty earlier at the Dublin Children's Court to possessing a metal pole as a weapon and assault causing harm to the man, who is in his thirties, at the South Circular Road, on June 17 last year. The first time offender was aged 13 when he took part in the attack on the man who was left distraught, the court has heard.
His case had been adjourned until today for an updated probation report on him to be furnished to the court.
Judge Michael Walsh noted that the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by a family member, had not come to further Garda attention and had co-operated with the Probation Service.
The judge decided not to finalise the case today and adjourned it for six months. He said the boy would be given the Probation Act, which would spare him a criminal record, if he does not come to further garda attention in that time.
Garda Mark Bolger had told the court that the victim had been going home when he was set on by four youths.
The schoolboy “used a metal rod to strike the injured party, he was arrested close to the scene,” the garda had said adding that the teen made admissions in relation to his role in the attack.
Gda Bolger had agreed that the boy had been co-operative on his arrest and had no prior criminal convictions
The man, who was repeatedly hit in the gang attack, was in shock and in tears after the assault. He suffered cuts to his face, but did not seek medical attention.
The court heard that the boy has done the Junior Certificate and hopes to complete his secondary school education.
Two witnesses intervened and may have prevented the Pakistani man from more serious injuries, the court has also heard.
Another youth, who instigated the attack, was given a six-month suspended sentence last week.