GAA star's drink-driving charge is withdrawn
Published 28/03/2013 | 05:00
THE DPP has dropped motoring-related charges against former Kerry footballer Darragh O Se.
The former All-Star midfielder, of Mounthawk Manor, Tralee, had faced charges of drink-driving, dangerous driving, having no insurance and no driving licence.
Mr O Se (37) was stopped by Garda Deirdre Barry on February 3 last on the N7, at Black- church, Kill, Co Kildare.
But when the case was called, at Naas District Court, Chief Superintendent Pat Mangan told Judge Desmond Zaidan that the cases against the famous footballer were being withdrawn, on the instructions of the DPP.
"Why?" the judge asked.
Chief Supt Mangan explained documents had been shown to gardai to indicate that Mr O Se's insurance and driving licence were in order.
The charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving were withdrawn for "procedural reasons".
Mr O Se's solicitor Conal Boyce told the court that it may not be the last time the matter came before the court.
He said that the move had followed submissions from him.
Mr O Se was not in court to hear the charges being withdrawn.
"Should he at least appear," the Judge asked, but Mr Boyce explained that Mr O Se was not there on his advice and that "there was no suggestion of any disrespect to the court".
"These are two serious allegations," the judge noted.
"I just don't understand it," he added."
He then asked if he would dismiss the matters "without prejudice".
But Chief Supt Mangan said he was withdrawing the charges.
"That's the instructions I have from the DPP," he said.
The judge struck out the charges, but said: "I don't know what these procedural reasons are."
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie