Fresh inquest ordered into plastic surgery death
Published 21/05/2010 | 05:00
A FRESH inquest has been ordered into the death of a Dublin man who died while undergoing cosmetic surgery in Colombia.
High Court president Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns yesterday quashed an earlier open verdict on Pierre Christian Lawlor, and ordered a new inquest.
The judge said Dublin County Coroner Kieran Geraghty should have agreed to Mr Lawlor's family's request to adjourn the July 2008 inquest, given the "unusual and tragic" circumstances involved.
The adjournment had been sought to see if medical notes from Colombia could be obtained.
Mr Lawlor (33), of Belarmine Place, Stepaside, but originally from Lucan, died on September 3, 2007, at the Centro Colomblade Cirugia Plastica in Bogota while undergoing plastic surgery on his face and torso.
He was holidaying in Colombia with his wife Andrea Galleana (26) and their son Zachary when he arranged to undergo the operation.
Ms Galleana claimed Christian had consumed cocaine and alcohol in the days prior to the procedures, despite being told by the clinic not to take such substances 48 hours before surgery.
Christian's parents, Tom and Margaret Lawlor, claimed the coroner was wrong to refuse to adjourn the July 2008 inquest despite medical notes from the clinic not being available to experts including State Pathologist Marie Cassidy. Those notes were made available a month later.
Dr Geraghty opposed the court application. He claimed that the notes would not have made a difference
But Mr Justice Kearns said the Lawlor family had raised legitimate concerns about earlier non-availability of the hospital records.