Freak ocean death was 'misadventure'
A VERDICT of "death by misadventure" has been returned in the case of a Polish father-of-four who was washed into the sea in 2006 but whose body has never been recovered.
At a coroner's inquest held this week in Kilrush, Co Clare, evidence was given that Piotr Bedzlowicz (35) had been fishing with his friend Prezemyslaw Szczpak at Tullig Point near Cross in west Clare on October 29, 2006, when they were both washed into the sea by a freak wave.
Mr Szczpak's statement was read out in court in which he detailed how he and Mr Bedzlowicz had gone to the cliffs at around noon and climbed down on to a rock platform.
He said they had been fishing for about four hours when a large wave swept them both into the sea. The statement said there was a second wave and that it washed Mr Szczpak back on to the rocks.
Mr Szczpak's statement added that when he climbed out of the water, he could see his friend in the water about three metres below him but that he could not reach him.
Despite searches by the Aran Islands lifeboat and the Irish Coast Guard helicopter, Mr Bedzlowicz's body has never been recovered.