Four charged with murder of Neil Reilly to face trial on indictment
A FATHER and his two sons as well as another youth are to face trial on indictment accused of the murder of Neil Reilly in Dublin, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed.
Mr Reilly, a 36-year-old father of two, sustained serious injuries during a row in the early hours of January 18 after his car came to a halt and he was attacked and stabbed in the Esker Glebe area in Lucan, not far from his home at St Finian’s Close.
Earlier, shots had been fired at a house in west Dublin. He was rushed to James Connolly Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Four males ranging in ages from late teens to fifties were arrested.
Paul Bradley (52) and his sons Jason Bradley (18) and Dean Bradley (22) of Liscarne Gardens, Ronanstown, in west Dublin and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, were all charged on January 31 last. They were initially remanded in custody because the district courts cannot grant bail in murder cases, however, bail was later granted by the High Court
They appeared again at Blanchardstown District Court on Monday where Judge David McHugh heard that the DPP has directed "trial on indictment", meaning they will be tried in the Central Criminal Court.
A State solicitor said that the book of evidence was "largely drafted" and an adjournment was sought to allow time for it to be completed.
Defence solicitor John Wood told the court that there was consent to the prosecution’s request for an adjournment.
Judge McHugh ordered the four defendants, who did not address the court, to appear again on a date in July when it is expected the book of evidence will be served and they can then be returned for trial.
The judge said he has noted the DPP’s direction and remanded them on continuing bail. They were also told they will need to have their independent sureties, the people who stood bail for them, in court with them at the next hearing.
At their first court appearance on January 31 last, Garda Thomas Doyle had said that Paul Bradley was charged at Blanchardstown station at 5.10am that day after which he was cautioned and he had no reply.
Garda Sgt Maeve Ward had told the court that Jason Bradley replied, "No" when he was charged.
Det Sergeant Sean Cosgrove had told the court that after the 17-year-old youth was charged "he made no reply".