News Courts

Saturday 20 September 2014

Former X Factor judge Tulisa fined £200 after being found guilty of assault

Neil Lancefield

Published 25/07/2014 | 11:16

  • Share
Tulisa Contostavlos
Tulisa Contostavlos

Former X-Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos has been convicted of assaulting a celebrity blogger at a music festival.

  • Share
  • Go To

The N-Dubz star hit Savvas Morgan during an altercation at V Festival in Essex.

She was found guilty by a judge at Stratford Magistrates' Court today.

Her assistant, Gareth Varey, was cleared of using threatening behaviour during the incident in August last year.

After being convicted of the assault, Contostavlos was ordered to pay a total of £3,020.

This consisted of a £2,700 contribution towards the cost of the prosecution, a £200 fine, £100 compensation to Mr Morgan and a £20 victim surcharge.

Earlier this week, a trial against Contostavlos collapsed at Southwark Crown Court after the judge said there were "strong grounds" to believe that undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood - known as the fake sheikh - had lied on the witness stand.

Contostavlos, who wore a blue suit, white shirt and nude stilettos, shook her head and smiled in disbelief as today's guilty verdict was read out.

She appeared to mutter "this is bulls***" as she walked out of the courtroom.

District Judge Angus Hamilton said: "I am quite sure to the requisite standard of proof, based on my analysis of the evidence that I have heard, that Ms Contostavlos did strike Mr Morgan in the face during an argument and that that blow caused minor bruising and swelling."

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News