Monday 26 June 2017

Former solicitor accused of €255,000 fraud

Former solicitor Jacqueline Durcan leaves court after facing charges of misappropriating €255,000
Former solicitor Jacqueline Durcan leaves court after facing charges of misappropriating €255,000
A former solicitor has been sent forward for trial accused of misappropriating about €255,000. Stock Picture

Tom Tuite

A former solicitor has been sent forward for trial accused of misappropriating about €255,000.

Jacqueline Durcan (47) previously based in Co Mayo but who now has an address at Rue Laubespin, 10 Laeken, Brussels, Belgium, appeared at Dublin District Court.

The prosecution follows an investigation by the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation.

She faces charges under the Theft and Fraud Act and the Solicitor's Act for alleged offences in Co Mayo from 2008 until 2010.

Judge Anthony Halpin heard that the DPP consented to her being returned for trial on indictment to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

A book of evidence was served and the judge said she was being sent forward for trial on 10 charges.

She has not yet entered a plea. There was no objection to her remaining on bail.

Judge Halpin told her she will face her next hearing on June 10 in the Circuit Court.

He also made an order for disclosure of video evidence to the defence, and legal aid was granted. Ms Durcan is accused of dishonestly appropriating €100,000 and knowingly making a false entry in accounting records on October 21, 2008.

She is also charged with dishonestly appropriating €51,000, €20,000 and €60,000 on separate dates in September 2010 and €24,000 in December 2009.

She also has charges of making false entries in account records in December 2010 and failing to maintain records in a prescribed manner in September 2010.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News