Former OCI president Pat Hickey back in Rio court
Published 20/10/2016 | 18:23
Former OCI president Patrick Hickey remained silent as he arrived at a court in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday to register as part of his bail conditions.
The 71-year-old must report to the authorities on the 20th day of every month to “justify his activities” while he responds to charges relating to the Olympic ticket touting scandal.
No court hearing has been set for the case against him and fellow Irishman Kevin Mallon, both of whom were first arrested by police during the Olympic Games in August.
He and THG director Kevin Mallon are facing charges of ticket-touting, illicit marketing and money-laundering in Brazil.
Both deny all allegations made against them in relation to ticketing at the event.
The 71-year-old previously said in a statement to the Irish Independent that he is completely innocent of all charges formally laid against him in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and intends to fight "each and every one of them".
"I have just received formal notification from the Brazilian authorities of the charges laid against me," he said.
"For clarity, I am not under house arrest as - like with so many things with this case - has been misreported by the media.
"I intend to face all the charges and to fight each and every one of them.
"I am completely innocent of all such charges and I will also vigorously defend my good name and character that I have spent my lifetime building through voluntary service for numerous sporting bodies.
"This has been a life-changing experience for me, my wife, my four children and my five grandchildren and my priority is to recover my health and see my family as soon as possible.
"I have been very heartened and humbled by the outpouring of support, letters, texts and emails from the thousands of people in Ireland and from the international sporting world."