Thursday 8 December 2016

Former garda is let out of jail after contempt

Tim Healy

Published 21/12/2010 | 05:00

A FORMER garda has been released from jail after he purged his contempt of court for failure to have a rented property he owns vacated.

  • Go To

A judge yesterday ordered Kevin Galvin's release having jailed him last Wednesday over his "flagrant breach" of undertakings given by him to the High Court about the property in Phibsboro which was deemed a fire risk by Dublin City Council.

High Court President Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns had sent Mr Galvin to prison for six weeks after the council complained an undertaking previously given by him to have a property at 73 Cabra Park vacated of all its residents had not been not complied with.

Yesterday, the judge was told the property had been vacated.

He said, in those circumstances, he was satisfied Mr Galvin had purged his contempt and made an order releasing him from jail.

Mr Galvin, Furry Park Road, Killester, Dublin, also apologised to the court.

Mr Galvin told the court last week had asked four people in the property to leave but they refused to do so.

The court heard the four were not refusing to leave but were trying to get alternative accommodation.

Sacked

Mr Galvin, who was sacked from the gardai earlier this year, has brought separate High Court proceedings challenging the decision to dismiss him

Mr Justice Kearns said yesterday while Mr Galvin's contempt was "most serious", he was ordering his release given that the undertaking had now been complied with, given the time of year, and because he was a married man with two young children.

The judge also ordered that the premises not be used again until all the relevant fire safety requirement had been complied with.

The court heard last week fire safety officials found four people living in flats in Cabra Park, which were considered a fire hazards. The four were in the building despite the court being told a few days previously it had been vacated.

Yesterday, Mr Galvin said that he had paid the residents €1,250, which was for a deposit on another rental property.

The court also heard council officials had inspected the premises and it appeared it was now empty. Mr Galvin had also engaged the services of a fire expert.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News