Sunday 23 April 2017

Former councillor given €700 fine after 40 'vile, abusive' calls to a colleague

Killian Forde made the abusive phone calls to Paddy Banks, a board member of the Integration Centre

Former SF/Lab Cllr Killian Forde pictured outside Tallaght court house.
Former SF/Lab Cllr Killian Forde pictured outside Tallaght court house.

A FORMER councillor who made 40 threatening phone calls of a "vile and personal nature" to a colleague over a six-hour period has been ordered to pay €700 to charity.

Killian Forde was a Dublin City Councillor with Sinn Fein from 2004 to 2010, before moving to Labour. He resigned his council seat in 2011 after he was made chief executive of the Integration Centre.

Forde made the abusive phone calls to Paddy Banks, a board member of the Integration Centre, in 2014.

He appeared before Judge Patricia McNamara in Tallaght District Court yesterday after he pleaded guilty to making a hoax telephone call at an address at Homelawn Drive, Tallaght, on October 7, 2014.

The court had heard that the calls were "drunken gibberish" and Mr Banks had been threatened.

Judge McNamara said Forde, with addresses at Carndonagh Park, Donaghmede, and Sutton Park, Sutton, was going abroad.

The court heard the incident arose after an Integration Centre board member was made redundant but eventually had their position reinstated.

intoxicated

Forde said he had no recollection of making the calls, which took place between 12.25am and 6am. Judge McNamara noted that he said he had been intoxicated that night.

Mr Banks told the court that the calls were "abuse, personal abuse and threats".

"It was vile, personal abuse of such a nature as to leave me with a deep sense of apprehension that I made a complaint to the gardai," he said.

"I did not wish to be looking over my shoulder when I go out. I have a number of medical conditions and I am told to avoid stress at all costs. I found this extremely stressful and still do to some extent.

"It was said to me I would be got and I would pay for what I did. He did not appear to me to be intoxicated. I will not accept an apology from Mr Forde. I have been deeply offended."

Judge McNamara said Forde had no previous convictions.

She said he was not at risk of re-offending and would apply the Probation Act if Forde pays €700 compensation. Mr Banks said he wanted the money to go to the hospice in Harold's Cross.

The case was adjourned for two weeks.

Speaking to the Herald afterwards, Forde said the incident was "regrettable". "It should never have happened and I am very sorry that it did," he said."It was totally out of character."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News