Friday 9 December 2016

Former councillor accused of corruption

Ciaran Murphy

Published 04/08/2010 | 05:00

A FORMER town councillor, who arrived in Ireland for a wedding over the weekend, was arrested and appeared in court yesterday on corruption charges.

  • Go To

Fred Forsey Jr (41), a father of three with an address at Coolagh Road, Abbeyside, Dungarvan, appeared at the District Court in Waterford city yesterday faced with a number of charges under the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Act 2001.

Another man, businessman Michael Ryan (58), of Kilgobnet, Cappa, Dungarvan, also appeared in court in relation to corruption charges. Mr Ryan also has an address at the Sweepstakes, Ballsbridge, in Dublin 4.

Mr Forsey, who has previously worked as a driving instructor in Co Waterford, was accompanied by friends and family in court yesterday.

Resignation

The former councillor was co-opted to Dungarvan Town Council as a Fine Gael representative in 2003, in order to fill the vacancy that arose as a result of the resignation of John Deasy. He retired from the council four years later.

The arrests are part of ongoing investigations into corruption in the county.

Det Sgt Shay Keevans yesterday gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution of Mr Forsey in Dungarvan on Monday and said that the accused made "no reply" when informed of the charges.

Inspector Paul Heffernan said he had "fears" that Mr Forsey represented a flight risk as he at present had "no tenancy here".

Insp Heffernan told Judge Gerard Haughton that Mr Forsey had been spending some time in Australia and in the UK while gardai had been looking to make contact with him.

Det Keevans added: "Initially contact was made in Australia and he said he would meet us but he went to the UK without contacting us. We contacted him -- he had moved to Germany. We got confidential information and arrested him."

Solicitor for Mr Forsey, Paddy Gordon, said that his client had only arrived in Ireland the day before the wedding and "had intended going in" to meet gardai in Dungarvan.

Both men were granted consent to bail on independent sureties of €20,000 with €1,500 in cash to be lodged. They were ordered not to contact any witnesses to the case and to inform gardai of any movement outside of the jurisdiction.

Judge Haughton adjourned the matter to a sitting of the District Court in Clonmel on Tuesday afternoon next.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News