Former Anglo boss Sean Fitzpatrick likely to face trial in late 2014
Former Anglo Irish Bank chairman Sean FitzPatrick is unlikely to stand trial until the end of 2014 on charges of failing to make disclosures to the bank's auditors about loans he received.
The 64-year-old is facing a total of 12 charges of failing to disclose to auditors Ernst & Young the true value of loans worth at least €139m given to him or people connected to him, by Irish Nationwide Building Society from 2002 to 2007 while he was an officer of the bank.
Mr FitzPatrick, who has yet to enter a plea, appeared at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court for the first time on these charges after been sent forward from the District Court earlier this month.
Judge Mary Ellen Ring was told that Mr FitzPatrick is "ultimately' likely to take a trial date and this would probably be towards the end of 2014.
This is so a period of 'fade' can take place following the accused's trial on separate matters in early 2014.
Prosecuting counsel Una Ni Raifeartaigh SC said some disclosure has taken place but more was to take place and she asked for seven or eight weeks so it can be completed.
Judge Ring adjourned the case until July 8 next for a progress update.
Mr FitzPatrick will be excused from attending on that date following a defence request.
In the District Court earlier this month Mr FitzPatrick of Camaderry, Whitshed Road, Greystones, Co Wicklow was charged under Section 197 of the Companies Act 1990.