News Courts

Sunday 31 August 2014

Force-fed anorexic women making progress, court told

Tim Healy

Published 06/06/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
A court heard yesterday about the progress of two women with severe anorexia nervosa who had been the subject of force feeding orders
A court heard yesterday about the progress of two women with severe anorexia nervosa who had been the subject of force feeding orders

TWO young women with severe anorexia nervosa – who were the subject of force feeding orders by the High Court – have made progress but issues of concern remain, a judge was told.

  • Share
  • Go To

The father of one of the women, hospitalised involuntarily since last April due to her weight dropping as dangerously low as 24kg, secured an order from Mr Justice Nichola Kearns directing the HSE to have a detailed written aftercare treatment plan for implementation whenever she is discharged from hospital.

His daughter, who has suffered with eating disorders since aged 12, was previously discharged with no such plan and had "fallen through the cracks" before, the father said.

A psychiatrist who assessed the woman, at the request of lawyers representing her interests, agreed with a HSE psychiatrist that she lacked the necessary mental capacity to appreciate the severity of her condition, John Lucey, who was appointed by the court to represent the girl's interest, told the court.

Treatment

A 15-page letter from the 26-year-old woman expressing her views about her treatment and other matters was handed in by Mr Lucey. On being told the woman would like to express her views herself but was physically unable to attend court, the judge said he would hear from her via video-link.

The feeding orders made in the case of the second woman, dating from January, were discharged yesterday in circumstances including her weight has now reached 39/40kg and she will be subject of a detailed aftercare plan. Orders permitting her detention under the Mental Treatment Act will also be lifted, the court heard.

That woman (22) remains "terrified" of putting on weight but recognises she needs nutrition to live, her treating psychiatrist told the judge.

She self-harmed on occasions to get back to hospital as she received a lot of attention there and it was being sought to address such institutionalisation by having her discharged home and permitting her return daily for therapy, the doctor added.

Both cases were before Mr Justice Kearns for review. Both women are students who were detained involuntarily in hospital under the provisions of the Mental Treatment Acts after doctors certified they did not have the necessary mental capacity to appreciate the severity of their condition.

The judge was told, after he had made the orders sought by the HSE to permit force feeding of the women if necessary, that both agreed to take the nutritional supplements.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News