FitzPatrick's attempt to stop trial is adjourned for a week
Published 22/08/2015 | 02:30
Former Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick's High Court action aimed at permanently preventing his trial before the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court from going ahead has been adjourned for a week.
The matter was mentioned before Mr Justice John Hedigan yesterday. With the consent of lawyers acting for both the retired banker and the DPP, the application was adjourned to Friday of next week. The DPP is opposing the action.
Yesterday, barrister Paul O'Higgins SC, for the DPP, in seeking the adjournment, said time was needed to allow the sides exchange documents. However, counsel said the DPP wanted the matter determined as soon as possible.
Barrister Bernard Condon SC, for Mr FitzPatrick, said his side was happy for the case to proceed next Friday.
Mr FitzPatrick is facing a number of charges including making a misleading, false or deceptive statement to auditors and of furnishing false information from 2002 to 2007.
Mr FitzPatrick (66) has pleaded not guilty to 27 charges under the 1990 Companies Act.
His trial has been scheduled to begin on October 5, however he claims he cannot get a fair trial due to a large volume of adverse publicity.
In early August, Circuit Court Judge Martin Nolan ruled the trial should proceed in October, after he rejected an application made on behalf of the former banker from Greystones, Co Wicklow, for an adjournment.
In his decision, Judge Nolan said the defendant had been the subject of attention for some time. However, the judge said he believed a jury could deal with the case impartially.
Lawyers acting for Mr FitzPatrick then launched High Court judicial review proceedings against the DPP.