Sunday 25 September 2016

Finucane family lose legal battle for inquiry

Published 27/06/2015 | 02:30

Pat Finucane
Pat Finucane

The family of murdered Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane have said they will not give up after losing a legal challenge against the British government's refusal to hold a public inquiry into the killing.

  • Go To

His son John Finucane said they had not decided whether to appeal a judgment which upheld the controversial 2011 decision by Prime Minister David Cameron.

Mr Finucane (38), who represented a number of high-profile republicans, was shot dead in front of his wife and three children at their Belfast home in February 1989.

The killing, one of the most notorious of the Troubles, is shrouded in controversy over allegations that the security forces colluded with the gunmen from the outlawed Ulster Defence Association (UDA).

The high-profile case, which was heard last month, was taken by Mr Finucane's widow Geraldine, who claimed to have a legitimate expectation that a statutory inquiry would be held.

Tireless

The Irish government later pledged to continue the push for a full public inquiry for Mr Finucane, as agreed.

"My thoughts at this time are with Geraldine Finucane and all the Finucane family, who have campaigned so tirelessly for more than a quarter of a century in pursuit of the full truth in the case of Pat Finucane, including the role of collusion in his murder," Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan said.

Mr Justice Stephens told Belfast High Court that he rejected the family's judicial review, saying a statutory inquiry would be costly, protracted, and could not be confined to narrow issues surrounding the loyalist shooting more than 20 years ago.

"I uphold that the decision was lawful," the judge said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News