Saturday 19 August 2017

Father, two sons and another youth sent for trial for murder of Neil Reilly

Murder victim Neil Reilly
Murder victim Neil Reilly

Tom Tuite

A FATHER and his two sons as well as another youth have been served with books of evidence and sent forward for trial accused of the murder of Neil Reilly in Dublin.

Mr Reilly, a 36-year-old father of two, sustained serious injuries during a row in the early hours of Jan. 18 after his car came to a halt and he was attacked and stabbed in the Esker Glebe area in Lucan, not far from his home at St Finian’s Close.

Earlier, shots had been fired at a house in west Dublin. He was rushed to James Connolly Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Four males ranging in ages from late teens to fifties were arrested.

Paul Bradley, 52, and his sons Jason Bradley, 18, and Dean Bradley, 22,  of Liscarne Gardens, Ronanstown, in west Dublin and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, were all charged on Jan. 31 last. They were initially remanded in custody because the district courts cannot grant bail in murder case.

It was later granted by the High Court.

They appeared again at Blanchardstown District Court on Monday where State solicitor Jonathan Antoniotti told Judge Miriam Walsh that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed "trial on indictment", meaning they will be tried in the Central Criminal Court.

Books of evidence had been prepared by the DPP and were served on the four defendants in court by Det Sergeant Damien Gannon.

Judge Walsh consented to the DPP’s request to order a return for trial to the present sittings of the  Central Criminal Court.

She told them that if they intended to use alibis in their defence they must notify the prosecution.

She then made the order sending them forward for trial.

Their three independent sureties, the people who stood bail for them, were present for the proceedings today.

A date for their next court appearance has not yet been allocated however it will be during the current term of the Central Criminal Court which finishes at the end of this month.

Defence solicitor Tracy Horan's request for legal aid for junior and senior counsel to represent each of her clients was granted by Judge Walsh today.

The bail set for the defendants is in each of their own bonds of €5,000 of which €3,000 had to be lodged.

It also required independent sureties of €30,000 of which €15,000 had to be lodged.

They have not yet indicated how they will plead.

At their first court appearance on Jan. 31 last, Garda Thomas Doyle had said that Paul Bradley was charged at Blanchardstown station at 5.10am that day after which he was cautioned and he had no reply.

Garda Sgt Maeve Ward had told the court that Jason Bradley replied, "No" when he was charged.

Det Sergeant Sean Cosgrove had told the court that after the 17-year-old youth was charged "he made no reply".

Det Sergeant Damien Gannon said he arrested Dean Bradley in Ronanstown Station and he made no reply after caution.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News