Family seeks public probe into Daniel's death in HSE 'aftercare'
Published 26/06/2010 | 05:00
THE family of teenager Danny Talbot, who was in receipt of aftercare from the Health Service Executive (HSE) when he died from a suspected drugs overdose, has called for a full public inquiry into the circumstances of his death.
Daniel 'Danny' Talbot (19) was living at the Caretakers Hostel, Back Lane, Dublin 8 -- part of the adult homeless services -- when he died in August 2009, Dublin City Coroner's Court heard yesterday at the opening of an inquest.
He had been in the care of the HSE from a young age and had been in a variety of placements. But he was with foster parents, David and Ann Flood, for most of the time, the inquest heard.
They provided care from when Mr Talbot was about nine years old for a period until the placement broke down. Once he reached 18 he was being provided for by aftercare services.
Legally at the time of his death, he wasn't in the care of the State as he had turned 18, social worker Maeve Drummey told the coroner.
But she said the HSE felt it had a commitment to provide aftercare to him.
His aunt, Sandra Lamb, who was in court with her sisters, Debbie and Donna, told the coroner her nephew was "let down from the cradle to the grave".
She said up to a week before Mr Talbot died, her sister was on the phone begging for help and that Mr Talbot had no social worker.
Ms Drummey said that for quite a period prior to (the age of) 18, he had some difficulty engaging with the services. At the time of his death, he had a referral to a number of aftercare services and there was a social worker out looking for him.
She acknowledged the family had a lot of frustrations and felt unsupported.
Mr Flood said Mr Talbot got involved with drugs.
Solicitor for the Lamb family, Pol O'Murchu, told coroner Dr Brian Farrell there was an obligation on the State to investigate all the circumstances of Mr Talbot's death.
"As a child, Danny was in the care of the HSE and on his death he was in receipt of aftercare provision from the HSE . . . His care in the HSE had a profound effect and regrettably led to the circumstances surrounding his death," he said.
The coroner adjourned the inquest to a date in July.