Saturday 25 October 2014

Family of 'troubled teen' says failure to arrange suitable accommodation is 'unacceptable'

Aodhan O'Faolain

Published 26/08/2014 | 17:16

Gavel and book
Ms Justice Iseult O Malley was told today that the 17 year old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is due to return to Ireland at the end of the week from Scotland where he has been since June of last year.

The family of "a very troubled" teen due to be released from a secure placement in Scotland later this week has told the High Court that the Child and Family Agency's failure to arrange suitable accommodation for him is “unacceptable”.

Ms Justice Iseult O Malley was told today that the 17 year old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is due to return to Ireland at the end of the week from Scotland where he has been since June of last year.

He court heard that despite the fact it had been known for some time that the teen, who has significant behavioural difficulties, was to be released from the Scottish facility at the end of August, accommodation and supports had yet to be put in place for him in Ireland.

Barrister Colman Fitzgerald SC , counsel for the teen's family,  said the the matter of the teen’s future care had come before the courts on several occasions since his release date was known.

Barrister for the Child and Family Agency, Tim O'Leary SC , said it was accepted it was the Agency’s  responsibility to provide accommodation and supports for the boy. There had been great difficulties in securing a suitable place for him in Ireland.

Mr O’Leary  said the boy, who was "a very troubled child" had been at a secure placement in Scotland where staff had difficulties with him. He had been brought before the Scottish courts but no conviction had been recorded against him.

Judge O Malley adjourned the case until Thursday when the court is to be updated on what arrangements had been made for the teen.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News