Monday 26 September 2016

Family of man who died after being electrocuted while working on mobile home settle claims for €780k

Aodhan O'Faolain

Published 09/05/2016 | 16:55

Brittas Bay
Brittas Bay

THE family of a Co Wicklow man who died after being electrocuted while working on a mobile home have settled their claims for more than €780,000.

  • Go To

Donal Kinney (42) died after receiving an electric shock while working on an electric water pump for a mobile home located at Brittas Bay, Co Wicklow on July 15, 2010.

Arising out of his death, his partner, Tracy O'Reilly, of Rockfield House St Bridgets Road, Wicklow Town, and the couple's two sons ,Thomas and Daniel, sued the mobile home owner, Oliver O'Reilly, Wellfield Close Wicklow Town, alleging negligence.

It was claimed Mr O'Reilly was negligent by allowing the late Mr Kinney to work on the mobile home when it was dangerous to do so and that there was a failure to warn it was dangerous.

It was further alleged the electricity supply at the mobile home had been negligently installed and maintained.

The claims were brought for nervous shock, emotional distress and loss of dependency arising out of Mr Kinney's death.

At the High Court today, Mr Justice Richard Humphreys was informed by Denis McCullough SC for the family said the matter had been settled.

Liability in the action was not an issue, counsel said.

The actions had been settled for a total of €780,000, counsel said.

The monies are to be divided among Ms O'Reilly and the two sons.

Money is also to be paid to Mr Kinney's mother, Mary Theresa Kinney, and his brother Martin Kinney, counsel added.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News