Saturday 21 October 2017

Family awarded €10,000 over son's death in cell

Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

THE FAMILY of a young man who died after collapsing while in garda custody has told of their relief that they can finally put the case behind them after being awarded €10,000 compensation.

Thomas Mongan (26) from Westside, Galway, died from alcohol intoxication on September 12, 2002. He was rushed to University Hospital Galway after he was found collapsed and unresponsive in a cell in Millstreet garda station in Galway earlier that night.

Winnie Mongan took the civil case against the State, the Minister for Justice and the Attorney General along with others, in relation to the death of her son. The case has been settled with an offer of €10,000 to the family.

Speaking outside Galway Circuit Civil Court, Mrs Mongan said she was relieved that the case was finally over.

"We came here just to find out what happened to my son, that's all I wanted. We wanted somebody to apologise but nobody ever did," she told the Irish Independent.

"I'm glad it's all over and I'm trying to put it behind me. He can go to his rest now," she added.

Barrister Eoin Garavan told the court that while Mr Mongan had caused the alcohol poisoning through his own actions, nonetheless he was in garda custody and should have been monitored every 15 minutes.

Approving the settlement of €10,000, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke said that while it did not compensate the family for their loss it was an "acknowledgement of the wrong that was done".

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News