News Courts

Friday 19 September 2014

Ex-executive charged over alleged €7.2bn Anglo fraud

Tom Tuite

Published 18/06/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Willie McAteer, former finance director at Anglo Irish Bank leaving court yesterday. Picture: Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie
Willie McAteer, former finance director at Anglo Irish Bank leaving court yesterday. Picture: Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie
Peter Fitzpatrick, 61yrs, Former Finance Director of Irish Life and Permanent with an address in Malahide Co. Dublin, pictured leaving court yesterday. Picture:Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie
Peter Fitzpatrick, 61yrs, Former Finance Director of Irish Life and Permanent with an address in Malahide Co. Dublin, pictured leaving court yesterday. Picture:Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie
John Bowe (50), former head of capital markets at Anglo Irish Bank with an address in Glasnevin, Dublin pictured leaving court yesterday. Picture:Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie
John Bowe (50), former head of capital markets at Anglo Irish Bank with an address in Glasnevin, Dublin pictured leaving court yesterday. Picture:Paddy Cummins/PCPhoto.ie

FORMER Anglo executive Willie McAteer has been charged with taking part in an alleged conspiracy to transfer €7.2bn in a bid to mislead the bank's investors about the true value of deposit books.

  • Share
  • Go To

The defunct bank's ex-finance director is to stand trial after he became the fourth person to be accused of fraud by inflating deposits at Anglo.

Following his arrest yesterday, he was brought to appear before a district judge at the Criminal Courts of Justice (CCJ) in Dublin and was remanded on bail pending trial.

His co-defendants are John Bowe, who had been head of capital markets at Anglo Irish Bank; Denis Casey (54) from Raheny, Dublin, who was chief executive of Irish Life and Permanent (IL&P) until 2009; and 61-year-old Peter Fitzpatrick, from Malahide, Dublin, who had been IL&P's former director of finance.

The three bankers had been already been charged earlier and appeared again at Dublin District Court, in the CCJ, yesterday where Judge Michael Walsh heard there were two fresh charges, for a fourth defendant, Mr McAteer, who has an address at Greenrath, Tipperary Town, Co Tipperary.

Det Inspector Gerard Walsh of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation told Judge Walsh that Mr McAteer (63) was arrested at 9am yesterday outside the Bridewell garda station in Dublin city centre.

"In reply he said 'no' to both charges," Det Insp Walsh said.

Earlier the court heard that Mr Bowe, Mr Casey and Mr Fitzpatrick had made the same reply when they were charged.

There was no objection to bail and Mr McAteer's wife Maria was approved to act as an independent surety in the sum of €10,000.

Together, Mr McAteer and his co-defendants are accused of conspiring to mislead Anglo investors in relation to €7.2bn transactions between Anglo Irish Bank Corporation Plc, Irish Life & Permanent Plc and Irish Life Assurance, from March to September 2008.

It is alleged that this was to give the impression that Anglo's deposits were larger than they really were.

Mr Bowe (50) from Glasnevin, in Dublin, and Mr McAteer also face one additional charge each that they allegedly falsified accounts contrary to Section 10 of the Theft and Fraud Act.

The DPP consented to them being returned for trial on indictment, state solicitor Padraig Mawe told Judge Walsh. This means means their trial will go before a judge and jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Books of evidence, each made up of two thick ring binder folders, were served on the defendants by Det Insp Walsh. The two-volume books of evidence also contained CD-ROMs. Mr Mawe explained that there was an "electronic format" as well as hard copy.

Alibis

None of the the four men have yet indicated how they will plead and Judge Walsh gave them the standard warning that if they intended to rely on alibis in their defence they must inform the prosecution within 14 days.

After some minor amendments were made to the charges, the judge then ordered that the four men were being returned for trial to the higher court.

He also agreed to make a "section 56 order" for the State to furnish copies of videotapes and memos of interviews to the defence solicitors: Michael Hanahoe, Dara Robinson and Michael Hennessy. Their clients briefly addressed the court to indicate they understood the bail terms and the alibi warning.

They then signed their bonds and took up bail pending their next hearing which will take place at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on July 11.

As a condition of bail they must sign on once per month at their local garda stations, they were warned yesterday by Judge Walsh.

After the judge finalised his order he warned the news media that nothing should be published "that might be prejudicial or adverse to the interests of the court".

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News