Wednesday 22 October 2014

Elderly man convicted of sexually abusing boy thirty years ago

Victim told how he was given a fiver to perform sexual acts on the man, up to twice a month for a couple of years

Published 02/07/2014 | 17:58

The Courts of Criminal Justice Dublin

An elderly Dublin man has been convicted of sexually abusing a boy thirty years ago.

The man, who can’t be named for legal reasons, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to indecently assaulting the male, when he was aged between 11 and 13 years old, from October 1983 to June 1985.

The jury of five women and seven men took just under two hours to unanimously convict the man of eight counts of indecent assault. It was day 5 of the trial.

The victim said in evidence that he would have to masturbate and perform oral sex on the man up to twice a month for a couple of years.

He said that he would get IR£5 for each incident before going to a different flat to be sexually assaulted by another alleged abuser.

Retired Detective Garda Terence McHugh said the 73-year-old man admitted in a voluntary statement that he had engaged in sex acts with the complainant.

He told Melanie Greally BL, prosecuting that the man stated he had been a rent boy in the 1950s when he was stuck for money, but was never forced to have sex with men who picked him up.

The detective denied an assertion by Matt Kelly SC, defending, that he threatened to break down the man’s door so his landlord would evict him. He further denied threatening to lock the man in a cell.

Judge Catherine Murphy thanked the jury members for their careful deliberation and remanded the man on bail pending sentence later this month.

The victim told the jury he was abused by five different paedophiles during his youth, including the 73-year-old.

He said a man he met at an amusement centre would take him to a flat and sexually abuse him in return for IR£10 a time.

He told Ms Greally this man introduced him to another alleged abuser, who introduced him to the accused man.

The complainant agreed with Mr Kelly that he began therapy in 2009 and mentioned the man’s name for the first time in 2012.

The victim explained that he had been abused by more than five paedophiles over his youth and could “never think properly” during therapy.

Det Gda McHugh told Ms Greally that he took the 73-year-old’s statement after he had turned up by chance while gardai were searching the home of another alleged abuser in 2010.

The detective said the man described in the statement how he had never had sexual intercourse with the complainant. He said he was sorry for what he had done to the boy.

The detective told Mr Kelly that interview wasn’t recorded because the man had come to the garda station voluntarily.

He agreed the man had appeared nervous and “shaking” but denied he had asked to see a solicitor.

The victim’s younger brother told the jury he once recalled waiting on the complainant outside a “dirty, smelly” house. 

The witness said his brother would leave him at a McDonalds and go to another Dublin location when they were both in the city together.

He said on one occasion he recalled his brother taking him to a “dirty, smelly” house, where he waited outside on the doorstep.

He agreed with Mr Kelly that he was never brought into the house and never saw the occupants.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News