Tuesday 17 October 2017

Dubliner bailed on charges over alleged surveillance of garda HQ

Brian Kavanagh

A MAN charged in connection with an alleged surveillance operation on the Dublin headquarters of a number of specialist garda units has been granted bail at the Special Criminal Court.

Corey Mulhall (41), of Daletree Court, Ballycullen, Dublin 24, is charged with membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh na hEireann, otherwise the IRA on September 26th, 2012.



He was arrested last month after detectives observed suspicious activity at a hotel close to Harcourt Square Garda Station. The station is home to the Special Detective Unit, whose tasks include monitoring the activities of dissident republicans.



Enquiries revealed that a person known to gardai had rented a room overlooking Harcourt Square under a false name, while a subsequent search of the room resulted in the seizure of equipment which it is believed was being used for surveillance purposes.

This morning at the Special Criminal Court, Corey Mulhall was granted bail on his own bond of €100 and on an independent surety of €20,000.



State Solicitor Sandra Manthe told the court that Mr Mulhall must also adhere to a number of strict conditions, including the provisions that he sign on daily between 9am and 9pm at an assigned garda station, reside at an agreed upon address and observe a curfew between 11pm and 7am.



Mr Mulhall was ordered not to leave the jurisdiction, and was directed to surrender his passport and to not apply for new travel documentation.



He was ordered not to contact any proposed prosecution witnesses in the case and is not to associate with any person convicted of a scheduled offence.



Mr Mulhall is also to be of good behaviour and keep the peace.



Presiding judge Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan said the court would also approve an application for legal aid made by counsel for the accused man, Leo Mulrooney BL.



Mr Justice Sheehan sitting with Judge Margaret Heneghan and Judge William Hamill, remanded the accused man in custody with consent to bail to appear before the non-jury court again on November 7th next.

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News