Friday 20 October 2017

Dublin teenager appears on attempted murder charge

Tom Tuite

A YOUTH has been accused of attempted murder in connection with a knife attack on a teenage boy in Dublin city-centre.

The 17-year-old had been charged earlier with possessing a knife as a weapon and assault causing harm to the boy, also aged 17, who had sustained stab wounds during an incident at Johnson's Court, in Dublin 2, on May 31 last.

The south Dublin youth had been granted bail with conditions stating he had to reside at his current address, obey a 10pm to 8am curfew, remain sober, stay away from the victim as well as the location of the incident and St Stephen's Green. He had also been ordered as a condition of his bail to attend anger-management counselling.

The teenage defendant, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, appeared again at the Dublin Children's Court today when he was further charged with attempted murder of the boy.

Garda Philip Gleeson told Judge Michael Walsh that the new charge was put to the 17-year-old at the courthouse, in Smithfield.

“He made no reply to the charge,” Gda Gleeson said.

State solicitor Catherine Irvine told Judge Walsh that the “DPP has directed trial on indictment”; this means the case will go forward to the Central Criminal Court.

The youth, who was granted legal aid, did not address the court and has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Defence solicitor John Quinn said the juvenile court did not have jurisdiction to grant bail in relation to the this type of charge. A bail application is expected to be made in the High Court.

Judge Walsh remanded the youth, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, in custody for one week pending the preparation of a book of evidence.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News