Dublin teen spared conviction for rake attack on Pakistani man
A DUBLIN teenager has been spared a criminal conviction and custodial sentence for his role in a vicious attack on Pakistani man whose face was beaten with a metal pole and a garden rake.
The boy (15) had pleaded guilty earlier at the Dublin Children's Court to possessing a metal pole as a weapon and assault causing harm to the man, who suffered cuts to his face, at the South Circular Road, on June 17 2011.
The first time offender was aged 13 when he took part in the attack on the man, who was left distraught and went into shock, after he was set on by four youths, the court has heard.
When the boy and a co-defendant, also in his mid-teens, were charged last year, the court had heard that it was suspected to have been a racially motivated incident.
In December last year, a judge at the juvenile court was furnished with a probation report on the boy and had ordered that if he stayed out of trouble for the next six months he would be let off without recorded conviction.
The boy has not come to Garda attention since and had co-operated with the Probation Service to address his offending.
Judge John Coughlan today applied the Probation Act; this means the boy, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, has been spared a criminal record as well as a possible sentence for his part in the attack.
Garda Mark Bolger had told the court earlier that the victim, who is in his thirties, had been going home when he was set on by four youths.
The schoolboy “used a metal rod to strike the injured party, he was arrested close to the scene,” the garda had said, adding that the teen made admissions.
The court has heard that the boy has done the Junior Certificate and hopes to complete his secondary school education. Gda Bolger had agreed that the boy had been co-operative on his arrest and had no prior criminal convictions.
The court has also heard that his co-defendant, whose case was finalised last year, “was carrying a garden rake which he used to strike this man in the face” and “it is unclear how many times he was hit.”
The Pakistani man, who was repeatedly beaten in the gang attack, went into shock and was in tears after the assault. He suffered cuts to his face, but did not seek medical attention because “he did not want to make a fuss”.
Two witnesses intervened and may have prevented him from getting more seriously injured, the court has also heard.
The second youth, who instigated the attack and had been armed with the rake, was given a six-month suspended sentence last year.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie