Friday 21 July 2017

Drumm's US bankruptcy legal team resigns

David Drumm will now represent himself in his US case Photo: Aidan Crawley/Bloomberg
David Drumm will now represent himself in his US case Photo: Aidan Crawley/Bloomberg
Shane Phelan

Shane Phelan

David Drumm's US legal team has been given permission to step down from the former banker's bankruptcy case.

The move was approved after the former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive indicated he wished to represent himself.

Mr Drumm (49) is appealing the decision of a bankruptcy judge not to give him protection from creditors who are owed around €10m.

The appeal is proceeding in the US, despite Mr Drumm's return to Ireland last month to face 33 criminal charges relating to his time at the helm of the bank.

He is currently free on bail.

Boston attorneys Edward McNally and David Rosner requested in February that they be allowed to step down from the bankruptcy case.

The application was granted by the US Court of Appeals earlier this week, according to an order published by the court.

The order said Mr Drumm was now "proceeding pro se", meaning he will act on his own behalf.

Mr McNally previously told the court that Mr Drumm instructed his lawyers to withdraw following a series of phone conversations over the course of several weeks.

"As a result of such discussions, [the] appellant has informed us that he understands the consequences of proceeding without counsel, understands his legal rights and the available options," said Mr McNally.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News