Sunday 25 June 2017

Drumm lawyers query DPP extradition 'delay'

Awaiting extradition: Ex-Anglo boss David Drumm Photo: Bizuayehu Tesfaye/ Irish Independent
Awaiting extradition: Ex-Anglo boss David Drumm Photo: Bizuayehu Tesfaye/ Irish Independent

Ronald Quinlan and Maeve Sheehan

Lawyers for former Anglo Irish Bank chief executive David Drumm have written to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to express their concern about the 'delay' in extraditing him from the United States.

The Sunday Independent understands that Drumm's solicitor, Michael Staines, wrote to the DPP 11 days ago to tell them that the US authorities had completed all the steps required for the former banker's return to Dublin.

All that remains now is for the Irish authorities to provide the US Marshals Service with a date to effect Mr Drumm's removal, he said.

Mr Staines, one of Ireland's leading criminal defence lawyers, informed the DPP in his letter that both the US Office of International Affairs and US Department of State signed off on Mr Drumm's extradition that same day, on February 24 last.

The Assistant US Attorney in Mr Drumm's case had already informed the former Anglo chief that his paperwork was complete, and advised him that they were now awaiting confirmation from Ireland in relation to the date of his flight to Ireland.

It is understood that Mr Drumm's solicitor asked the DPP to explain why this information had yet to be provided to the US authorities.

Contacted by the Sunday Independent, a spokeswoman for the DPP said: "The Office [of the DPP] will not be commenting on this matter as we do not comment on individual cases."

A source close to Mr Drumm last night expressed their frustration at what they described as "foot dragging" on the part of the Irish authorities.

"David has been told everything is ready on the Americans' side. The US Marshals are ready and have his passport. As soon as they get the green light from Dublin, he'll be on his way. The DPP has been asked by David's solicitor for an explanation and they've said they're still waiting for confirmation from the US that the process is complete on their end. It doesn't make sense," they said.

A garda source, meanwhile, insisted that the US authorities had yet to make contact to confirm that the documentation necessary for Mr Drumm's extradition had been signed off.

"We will only assemble a team to bring Mr Drumm back to Dublin when we've received the appropriate documentation from the US. We haven't received that yet," the source said.

In a separate development, the former Anglo Irish Bank chief was last week allowed an extra eight weeks to file papers in his US bankruptcy appeal.

A judge granted the extension after Mr Drumm argued he had been unable to work on his case as he has been kept in solitary confinement for a "lengthy period" since being arrested by US Marshals acting on foot of an extradition warrant last October.

He is being detained at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility, near Boston.

Sunday Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News