Drumm insists he got no special deal to return home
No special deal was offered to David Drumm in return for his agreement to come back to Ireland, according to the former Anglo Irish Bank boss.
In an affidavit submitted to a US court, Mr Drumm said he had not received any inducement from either Irish or US officials to drop his fight against extradition.
The former Anglo chief executive's U-turn caught many observers by surprise. Following his arrest in Massachusetts last October, he hired a large legal team to fight against the extradition application and appeared ready for a lengthy legal battle.
But when it became clear that he would not be released on bail ahead of a scheduled March 1 extradition hearing, his position changed and he sought a commitment from the Director of Public Prosecutions here not to oppose an application for bail in an Irish court if he voluntarily returned to this country.
But the affidavit, signed by Mr Drumm (49), confirms that no such deal was agreed to by the DPP, Claire Loftus.
In the document, Mr Drumm (below) said his decision to return to Ireland had been made "voluntarily" and "entirely of my own free will".
"No representative, official or officer of the United States or of the Government of Ireland, nor any person whomsoever, has made any promise or offered any other form of inducement, nor made any threat or exercised any form of intimidation against me," he said.
In the document, Mr Drumm admits there is "probable cause" - defined as a reasonable amount of suspicion supported by circumstances - to believe he committed the 33 offences he is expected to be charged with on his return to Ireland.
However, he stated that he consented to a finding of "probable cause" only for the sole purpose of consenting to the extradition request. Mr Drumm added that he had denied the charges and would contest them in Ireland.
It remains unclear when he will return to Ireland. Details had still to be worked out by officials yesterday and a number of procedural matters have to be taken care of before this can happen.
This includes securing the agreement of the US Secretary of State's office, which must sign off on the extradition.
A certificate signed by US District Court judge Donald Cabell, confirming that Mr Drumm can be extradited, has been forwarded to the Secretary of State's office and the US Department of Justice.
Once this is signed off, discussions will take place between US marshals and Irish authorities on when Mr Drumm is to be transported to Dublin.
The issue is further complicated by the fact that Mr Drumm, his wife Lorraine and their two daughters are in the process of applying for US Green Cards.
This will require biometric testing in Boston and Mr Drumm's lawyers have asked for any return to Ireland to be delayed until this occurs.
In the meantime, it is expected that Mr Drumm will continue to be held at a maximum-security prison in Plymouth, around 65km south of Boston.
Mr Drumm has previously complained about the conditions in custody, claiming that he is unable to effectively prepare a defence with his legal team.