Wednesday 28 September 2016

Drumm abandons his fight against extradition from US but family want to stay

Orlaith Farrell

Published 12/02/2016 | 02:30

David Drumm is wanted on an arrest warrant for 33 charges in relation to transactions carried out during his time at the helm of Anglo Irish Bank in 2008 (Bizuayehu Tesfaye)
David Drumm is wanted on an arrest warrant for 33 charges in relation to transactions carried out during his time at the helm of Anglo Irish Bank in 2008 (Bizuayehu Tesfaye)

Former banker David Drumm has formally abandoned his fight against extradition from the US.

  • Go To

He last night told a Boston court that he will return to Ireland to face the criminal charges against him.

But it is understood that it could be several days or even weeks before Mr Drumm is put on a flight to Ireland, as US and Irish authorities work together to follow extradition treaty protocol.

The 49-year-old, who has been behind bars stateside since October 10, appeared in a Boston court to consent to his extradition and waive his right to a probable cause hearing in the US.

During the 15-minute hearing, Mr Drumm signed an affidavit that was presented to Judge Donald Cabell, who will consider and sign a certificate of extraditability "within the next 24 hours".

Chained

Mr Drumm was brought in to the hearing chained at the wrists and ankles and wearing what appeared to be green prison scrubs.

He spoke only to answer "yes, your honour" to a series of procedural questions.

The Dubliner is wanted on an arrest warrant for 33 charges in relation to transactions carried out during his time at the helm of Anglo Irish Bank in 2008.

These include allegations of forgery, conspiracy to defraud, false accounting and breaches of Irish company law.

He is planning to contest the charges against him.

It was revealed in court filings that the Irish government issued an arrest warrant for the former accountant on June 27, 2014, in the District Court in Dublin. He was picked up by US marshals at his home in the leafy Boston suburb of Wellesley just over four months ago, on October 10.

Since his incarceration, Mr Drumm has appeared in court four times and persistently challenged the extradition request.

He had been demanding bail to build his case while remaining in Boston, where he previously told the court that his family has "had our heart" for "the longest time".

Last night, Mr Drumm gave up that fight at the John Moakley Courthouse on the Boston seafront - and will no longer challenge the extradition warrant for his arrest.

For the first time since his court appearances and bail challenges began, Mr Drumm's family were not in the court room for the brief hearing.

Application

His lawyer, Daniel Fetterman, told the court that Mr Drumm and his wife and two children were in the process of a green card application.

He asked that the court "keep the matter open", to allow him to go to a Boston facility for biometric testing along with his family, before his return to Ireland.

Mr Drumm first indicated he no longer wished to fight the extradition request from Irish authorities in an interview published last weekend.

The Dubliner resigned from Anglo in December 2008 and moved to the US in June 2009. He has lived there with his family since then.

He had recently been held in a maximum security prison in Plymouth, south of Boston.

Mr Drumm had sought a guarantee from the Director of Public Prosecutions that a bail application in Ireland would not be opposed.

However, this condition has been rejected by the DPP.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News