DPP’s instructions sought on man accused of stabbing at Swedish House Mafia gig
Published 28/09/2012 | 12:40
THE State has been given eight weeks to get directions from the DPP in the case of a 22-year-old man man accused of stabbing a tourist at a Swedish House Mafia concert in the Phoenix Park in Dublin in July,
Raymond Donnan, with an address at Greenfort Crescent, Clondalkin, Dublin, made his fourth district court appearance today. He had been charged earlier with a number of offences in connection with incidents at the outdoor gig on July 7 which was attended by about 45,000 people.
Mr Donnan is accused of assault causing harm to 28-year-old Andrew England – a tourist from the Isle of Man who suffered multiple stab wounds– as well as production of a knife in the course of a dispute, violent disorder, breach of the peace and being intoxicated in public, at the Phoenix Park.
He had been refused bail at Dublin District Court on July 9 following an objection by Garda Sergeant Shane McCartan who had cited the seriousness of the charges. However, the 22-year-old, who “made no reply in respect of the charges", was later granted High Court bail.
He appeared again today at Dublin District Court, where Judge Bryan Smyth was told by the prosecution that a further remand was being sought. A file had been sent to the office of the DPP earlier this month and more time was needed to get directions.
Defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens asked the judge to note “time passing” in relation to the case because it has been before the court since July. A court Garda sergeant said the prosecution was consenting to the case being marked peremptory against the State if the remand period were extended to eight weeks.
Judge Smyth agreed and ordered Mr Donnan, who was wearing a dark blue tracksuit and grey runners, to appear again on November 23 next. The young man did not address the court during the brief hearing today and his case has now been made “peremptory against the State", meaning it could be struck out if the DPP's directions are not available on the next date.
Mr Donnan has not yet entered pleas to the charges and the proceedings have already heard that the case would probably be sent forward to the Circuit Court and it could take about a year before a trial takes place.
Earlier the proceedings heard that Mr England was stabbed “on five occasions”, causing him to receive four puncture wounds to his side and one to his head.
The concert goer had also suffered damage to his liver and “had to receive stitches to the back of his head and elbow arising out of this attack”.
The controversial event in the park also featured Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris on its line-up. More than 30 arrests were made on the night of the concert which was marred by a litany of incidents including public order offences, assaults and drugs seizures. Two men who had been at the concert also died after they fell ill.
On August 2, a Garda report into the events at the concert found that the Phoenix Park is not a suitable venue for “outdoor electric music concerts”. The report also found that gardai warned music promoter MCD before the event that they had concerns about alcohol sales, gate opening times and stewarding.
Afterwards, MCD criticised how the gardai policed the event and the number of officers on duty at the concert.