DPP seeks an injunction against 'Irish Independent'
Published 22/07/2014 | 02:30
THE Director of Public Prosecutions has sought an injunction against the Irish Independent in relation to its coverage of the Anglo Tapes.
The DPP sought the injunction at the High Court yesterday in connection with the story by Paul Williams, which appeared over the course of three days in last week's Irish Independent and on independent.ie.
The Irish Independent denies it is in contempt of court, after the DPP claimed that the publication of further material is calculated to interfere with the criminal trial process in relation to events at the former Anglo Irish Bank.
The DPP also sought an order directing the committal to prison of Irish Independent editor Claire Grady and editor-in-chief Stephen Rae, and/or the sequestration of the company's assets, for contempt of court in relation to material published last Thursday under the heading "Anglo: The new tapes revealed."
When the matter came before the President of the High Court Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns yesterday, it was adjourned briefly to allow discussions between the parties.
When the case came back before Mr Justice Kearns, Paul O'Higgins, for the DPP, said it had been agreed that the respondents would take steps in relation to the material online and the injunction application could be adjourned until Friday.
Independent Newspapers (Ireland) Ltd agreed to remove certain portions from some of the Anglo Tapes from its independent.ie website.
Shane English BL, for the Independent, said it had been agreed to remove portions of the tapes identified in an affidavit in the injunction application. Mr English said his client was contesting the DPP's case.
The extracts have been removed without prejudice to the Independent's position in relation to the case being taken by the DPP.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie