A DOORMAN has sued one of Ireland's biggest nightclubs over stabbing injuries he received when a 15-strong gang - allegedly involved in the drug trade - tried to force its way into the premises.
Srdan Suton (34), originally from Croatia and now living in Sutton, Co Dublin, says the Wright Venue in Swords, Dublin, failed to have proper safety procedures and systems in place to protect him from the incident in which he was stabbed twice in the back and side on July 31, 2010.
These included a failure by management to properly brief him about another incident at the club three weeks earlier when a gang involved in drugs in the Coolock area assaulted another doorman, Mr Suton's counsel Richard Keane (with John Nolan BL) said during the opening of the case yesterday.
When a 15-man "mob" returned returned on July 31, counsel said, "it was known there was a score to be settled" and during a confrontation, Mr Suton was "viciously stabbed" by one of the gang who were known to be "carriers" (people who carrying knives). Wrights, is a multi-floor dance club with a capacity for 2,500 making it one of the biggest in Ireland, counsel said.
Mr Suton is suing Wrights trading as Wrights Cafe Bar Airside Ltd, Swords, Dlublin, and his employers, Renaissance Security Services Ltd, Fairview, Dublin.
The defendants deny his claim and say he was guilty of contributory negligence by lunging forward from a line of security men blocking the gang's entrance at the bottom of a stairwell.
Mr Suton says he did not lunge but was trying to back himself up the stairs when he received the first stab wound and the second as he fell forward.
He claims the defendants were negligent and in breach of duty by failing to have a system in place whereby the door of the premises was not closed promptly.
It is argued that the use of a fire door as an entry point for patrons was inadequate particular as it could not be pulled closed if a large group tried to get through it.
Mr Suton says there were an insufficient number of security staff on duty that night and the numbers had been cut back in previous weeks due to financial constraints.
He also says there should have been an emergency phone for summoning gardai to deal with such incidents. The court heard gardai searched
the Swords area afterwards to try to find the attackers but without success.
Mr Suton was brought to hospital where he received treatment for stab wounds to his lower back and left side. He continues to suffer from
nerve damage as a result but has not sued for post traumatic stress. He was just "happy to be alive" and is back working for the same company, he said.
Mr Justice Michael Moriarty said after viewing CCTV footage of the incident he was shocked by scenes of a "a mob running amok". He added that he wondered what parents of young people in the locality would have thought if they had seen what the court had been shown.
The case continues.