Declan Duffy to spend Christmas behind bars after being denied bail over false imprisonment and disorder charges
A man charged with three counts of false imprisonment in relation to an alleged incident in west Dublin last June will spend Christmas in custody after the High Court refused to grant him bail.
Declan Duffy (42) is also charged with one count of violent disorder at The Towers, Garters Lane, Saggart, last June 9.
Ms Justice Margaret Heneghan yesterday refused to grant Duffy bail, taking into consideration the concerns gardai had expressed on several occasions before the court.
Reporting restrictions apply to the naming of the alleged victims who, the court was told, had been moved by gardai to "a secure location".
Duffy, of Hanover Street West in Dublin's south inner city, sought to be admitted to bail at the High Court. Through his lawyers, he said he was prepared to offer two sureties of €16,000.
He was also prepared to sign on two or three times a day at a nominated garda station, be subject to a curfew and stay in or out of any location deemed appropriate by the court.
It was also argued that Duffy could spend "quite some time" in custody before his trial is listed.
The State had objected to bail on grounds including that the allegations were so serious that bail should not be granted. If convicted of the charges, Duffy could receive a life sentence.
Det Insp Colm O'Malley said no surety was acceptable due to various garda concerns, including the serious nature of the charges pending.
He told the court that a decision on whether the trial will be heard before the Special Criminal Court or the circuit court had still to be made.
His recommendation had been that the matter go before the Special Criminal Court.
The application was made after the district court had previously refused to grant Duffy bail following his arrest by gardai earlier this month.