Decision on whether serial killer Mark Nash should be transferred back to Arbour Hill due tomorrow
Published 28/07/2015 | 17:32
A DECISION on whether convicted double murderer Mark Nash should be transferred back to the prison he has been in for the last 15 years will be made tomorrow, the High Court has heard.
He wants to be transferred back to Arbour Hill prison in Dublin, where he had already served 15 years of a life sentence for the murder in 1997 of two people in Ballintober, Co Roscommon.
Read more here: Double killer Mark Nash refusing food in prison 'since June'
Last April, Nash (42) was given another life sentence after he was found guilty of the separate murders of Sylvia Sheils (59) and Mary Callanan (61) at their sheltered housing in Grangegorman in Dublin, also in 1997. That sentence is to run from the date of his sentencing.
Since then he had been held in Mountjoy and the Midlands Prisons.
He says he is under threat in these prisons.
He was was under 23-hour lock-up at Mountjoy, he says.
Last week,the president of the High Court Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns was told the transfer request was being reconsidered.
Earlier today, when the matter was briefly mentioned before the judge, Robert Barron SC for the State said the application remained under consideration by a senior official in the Prison Service, and a decision will be made by Wednesday afternoon.
The case was adjourned until then.
Last week the court heard Nash has stopped eating food since June 9 and has been hospitalised due to concerns about his health.