Decision next week on whether serial killer Mark Nash should be transferred to other prison
THE President of the High Court will give his decision next Tuesday on an application by convicted murderer Mark Nash to be transferred back to the prison he has been in for the last 15 years.
He has already served 15 years in Arbour Hill, Dublin, of a life sentence for the murder in 1997 of two people in Ballintober, Co Roscommon.
Last April, Nash (42) was given another life sentence after he was found guilty of the separate murders of Sylvia Sheils (59) and Mary Callanan (61) at their sheltered housing in Grangegorman in Dublin, also in 1997. That sentence is to run from the date of his sentencing.
After that sentence, he was initially taken to Mountjoy Prison in Dublin where he claimed he was under threat from other prisoners and under 23-hour lock up.
He sought a return to Arbour Hill, where he claims he had been leaving a peaceful life, but was later transferred to the Midlands Prison where he remains and where he says he is also under threat.
His case is against the the prison service and the State who oppose the action.
Mr Justice Kearns said today, he would give his decision next Tuesday after he hears legal submissions from both sides Friday.
The court also heard that Nash, who had been refusing food since June 9 and was in prison hospital, has started taking food again.
Read more here: