Dancer told to stay away from Walsh and Westlife
Published 30/06/2011 | 05:00
A DANCE teacher accused of making a false allegation of sexual assault against 'X-Factor' judge Louis Walsh was told yesterday to stay away from the pop impresario and all of the members of Westlife.
Leonard Watters (24), a father of two, faces up to five years in prison if he is convicted of making the false claim that the music manager attacked him in the toilets of Krystle nightclub after a Westlife concert in the O2 last April.
Mr Watters was arrested in Navan, Co Meath -- where he is from -- on Tuesday and appeared before Dublin District Court yesterday.
Dressed in dark blue jeans and a black jacket, he was brought before Judge William Early charged under Section 12 of the Criminal Law Act (1976) for making a false report to gardai on June 20 at Harcourt Terrace garda station.
Detective Inspector Michael Cryan told the court that Mr Watters was charged at Pearse Street garda station in Dublin shortly before midday yesterday and said "no reply" before he was handed a copy of the charge.
Judge Early was told that there was consent to conditional bail being granted to Mr Watters.
"The only objection is in relation to the address; an address has to be supplied," Det Insp Cryan stipulated.
Mr Watters previously had an address at Woodview in Navan.
Defence solicitor Stephen O'Mahony said that an address was forthcoming and would have to be confirmed by gardai.
Det Insp Cryan asked that Mr Watters stay away from the Krystle nightclub and have no contact with Louis Walsh or members of Westlife band or any potential witnesses in the case as part of the terms of bail.
Judge Early imposed the conditions and set bail at €300.
Mr Watters was not required to speak during the brief hearing.
There was no application for legal aid.
Mr Watters is due to appear before court again on September 7.
A district court conviction for making a false report to gardai can result in a fine or a sentence of up to 12 months.
If the case is heard by a jury at the circuit court, the offence carries a possible sentence of up to five years.
Mr Walsh had said from the outset he was outraged by the allegation and that he was innocent.
Gardai told him on Monday evening that the claims had been withdrawn.