Sunday 21 December 2014

Damages claim for 'blading' at St Pat's dismissed by judge

Ray Managh

Published 24/06/2014 | 13:11

A report has found the human rights of children and young adults at St Patrick's Institution are being ignored or violated
Inmate claimed the Institution had failed to provide him with adequate security in the yard of the prison

A €38,000 damages claim against the Minister for Justice and the prison authorities – involving “the blading” of an inmate at St Patrick’s Institution -- has been dismissed by a judge for want of prosecution.

Barrister Fred Gilligan told the Circuit Civil Court that the alleged incident had occurred almost six years ago and the State Claims Agency had heard nothing about the claim since October 2012 despite several written inquiries about the claim.

Judge Jacqueline Linnane heard that Jason O’Brien, a now 27-year-old plumber, of Carraigmore Crescent, Citywest, Tallaght, Dublin, had sued the Minister, The Irish Prison Services and the Governor of St Patrick’s Institution for damages.

He alleged that in October 2006 he had been attacked and assaulted by a fellow prisoner who had stabbed him with “a blade” causing him serious personal injury.

O’Brien had claimed the Institution had failed to provide him with adequate security in the yard of the prison and had also failed to ensure prisoners frequenting the yard were not armed with dangerous weapons.

Judge Linnane said the defendants had contacted solicitors for Mr O’Brien but the case had not been progressed.  She dismissed O’Brien’s action for want of prosecution.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News