Daily Mail apologises to bank official over tiger kidnapping report
Published 14/11/2012 | 19:10
THE Irish Daily Mail has apologised in the High Court to a bank official over a false report about him in relation to a tiger kidnapping.
Shane Travers had sued Associated Newspapers over an article on January 30, 2010.
Today Mr Justice Eamon deValera was told the case had been settled and an apology was read to the court by Eoin McCullough SC, for the newspaper.
He said in the article about the ongoing investigation into a tiger raid in February 2009, there was reference to Bank of Ireland employee, Mr Travers from Ardilawn, Portmarnock, Co Dublin.
"We wrongly reported that Mr Travers had been suspended from his duties at Bank of Ireland pending the outcome of this investigation. In fact Mr Travers was never suspended from his employment," the apology stated.
It added: " Mr Travers was also concerned that our reporting suggested he was indifferent to the significance of the raid . This was also incorrect. We apologise to Mr Travers for the distress and embarrassment caused to him."