Sunday 11 December 2016

Court orders teen to do chores at home

Tom Tuite

Published 04/02/2010 | 05:00

A 15-YEAR-old boy who went on a rampage at home has been ordered by a judge to do household chores for the next six months.

  • Go To

Judge Clare Leonard yesterday told the boy he must attend school, not lose his temper at home when his parents say "no", attend sporting clubs, "clean his room and do cooking".

The teenager had pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to causing criminal damage at his south Dublin home on a date last May, when his mother had to call the gardai over his unruly behaviour.

Garda Jamie Ryan had told the court that the boy "became aggressive and broke cups and plates".

"He entered his bedroom and pulled curtains from the wall and punched a hole in the wall," he said, adding that the boy said "sorry" when he was charged.

The schoolboy, who had no prior criminal convictions, had since made up with his mother over his behaviour, and was facing no other charges, the court was told.

During the hearing last month, the boy's mother agreed that there were no other problems, "just his attitude towards me".

The case had been adjourned until yesterday for a probation report. The court had opted for a family welfare conference plan, where the Probation Service would agree, with the boy and his mother, to a plan of restorative justice activities.

The court heard yesterday that the teenager had not come to further garda attention and was willing to adhere to the conditions of the action plan. He was also ordered to attend "family therapy".

The case has been adjourned until September when the court will learn whether the youth has stuck to the deal.

The charges will be struck out, leaving no recorded convictions, if he fully abides by the plan and does not come to further garda attention.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News