Sunday 21 December 2014

Chocolate bar tinfoil caused woman's death

Published 25/03/2014 | 02:30

A woman died after accidentally ingesting the tinfoil from a bar of chocolate, a coroner heard.

A verdict of misadventure was recorded at the inquest into the death of Ann Byrne (61).

A post-mortem on Ms Byrne, who lived at Mayfield, Claremorris, Co Mayo, revealed a piece of tinfoil lodged in one lung. Pathologist Dr Tamas Nemeth told an inquest in Castlebar that the tinfoil caused Ms Byrne to vomit.

Death was caused by asphyxia due to aspiration of gastric contents, Dr Nemeth added. Ms Byrne, who was found dead on December 12, had a high blood alcohol level at the time of death.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News