Chef burned in face by explosion settles his claim
A 23-year-old chef, whose face was burned when a gas oven exploded in an Indian restaurant, has settled a €60,000 damages claim for an undisclosed figure in the Circuit Civil Court.
Judge Sarah Berkeley heard that Santosh Dhakal suffered flash burns to his face, neck, ears, lips, the inside of his nose and his hair and eyebrows when the incident happened in August 2013.
Mr Dhakal, of The Richmond, North Brunswick Street, Dublin, told his barrister Kieran O'Callaghan that he was attempting to light the oven with a spark lighter when there was an explosion.
Mr O'Callaghan told the court the blast cracked a plate glass window in The New Maharajah restaurant on Clontarf Road, Dublin 3. Mr Dhakal, who sued T&S Ethnic Restaurant Limited, with a registered address at Swiftbrook Avenue, Tallaght, said the restaurant had to close down for the remainder of the day.
He had called his boss who had taken him to Fairview Clinic, before he was transferred to the Mater Hospital for further treatment. Mr O'Callaghan told the court, following an adjournment, the case had been settled.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie