Celebrity plastic surgeon ignoring requests to give evidence to probe into liposuction death, court told
Published 11/04/2013 | 13:48
THE celebrity plastic surgeon at the centre of an inquest into the death of an Irishman on his operating table in Colombia continues to ignore requests to give evidence, Dublin Coroner’s Court heard yesterday.
Dr Ricardo Lancheros Pedraza carried out a liposuction operation on 34-year-old father of one Pierre Christian Lawlor from Belarmine Place in Stepaside, Co Dublin, at his Bogota clinic on September 3, 2007. Mr Lawlor went into cardiac arrest during the operation and subsequently died despite resuscitation attempts.
The court had previously heard that attempts to get in contact with the medics who treated Mr Lawlor at the Colombian clinic had failed. Updating legal representatives for the family, Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said that a second attempt had been made to get in contact with Dr Lancheros via registered post and the letters have been received but the court has still had no acknowledgement from him. Dr Lancheros had intimated through a third party that he would be prepared to co-operate with the inquiry, he said, but so far there has been no response.
This is the second time Mr Lawlor's death has been the subject of an inquest after an open verdict returned at the Dublin County Coroner’s Court was quashed by the High Court on foot of a challenge by his family.Some evidence had already been heard in the inquest at a sitting in February before it was adjourned to allow time to consider statements taken by the Colombian authorities.
Mr Lawlor travelled to Colombia with his South American wife Andrea Galeano and their infant son to visit her family. She told the court that Dr Lancheros is a high profile plastic surgeon who carries out procedures on “all the celebrities in Colombia and South America”. Mr Lawlor chose him to carry out the operation because he “trusted” him. She also said that she believed her husband had taken cocaine in the days before his operation despite being warned not to by doctors at the Bogota clinic.
The inquest is scheduled for further hearing on July 19 and 20.