Carrey to face wrongful death trial in US over drug suicide of Irish girlfriend
Jim Carrey has failed in his attempt to get a wrongful death lawsuit over his Irish ex-girlfriend's suicide thrown out of court.
A judge confirmed a trial would go ahead over claims the actor (55) used his "wealth, influence and celebrity status" to provide the prescription drugs on which Cathriona White overdosed.
The 30-year-old make-up artist, who was originally from Cappawhite, Co Tipperary, was found dead in her Los Angeles home in September 2015.
Mr Carrey flew to Ireland shortly after her death and helped to carry her coffin to Our Lady of Fatima Church in her home village.
But now Ms White's husband Mark Burton and her mother Brigid Sweetman are suing the 'Dumb And Dumber' star in Los Angeles.
Michael Avenatti, who represents the pair, said: "In light of the court's recent rulings entirely in our favour, we look forward to the trial in April. The public deserves to know the truth."
Carrey's lawyer Raymond Boucher had asked Los Angeles Superior Court to strike out the case.
But Judge Deirdre Hill ruled that Carrey should face a jury over the claims of wrongful death and allegations under the Drug Dealer Liability Act.
She also ruled against Carrey's privacy request - and said the jury should hear medical evidence regarding claims that he gave Ms White three sexually transmitted diseases.
Mr Boucher denied that Carrey would now attempt to settle the case, adding: "We are preparing for trial."
Carrey also dropped a request for Ms Sweetman to put a bond of $372,000 (€327,000) aside to go towards the comedian's costs if he is successful in fending off the case.
Mr Boucher wrote to the court asking for the request to be dismissed on the basis that Ms Sweetman lacks the means to pay and is ill.
Canadian-born Carrey previously dismissed the allegations as "malicious" and "predatory".
His lawyer Martin Singer said "Mr Carrey has suffered a great deal in the last year with the suicide of the woman he dearly loved, and it is outrageous that he should be subjected to this predatory lawsuit." The trial is due to begin on April 26.