Saturday 19 August 2017

CAB to sell €500,000 of jewellery and cars linked to Kinahans

Assets: Liam Byrne
Assets: Liam Byrne

Tim Healy

The High Court has cleared the way for the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) to sell assets - including several cars worth €500,000 - which it says are linked to the Kinahan organised crime gang.

The CAB had previously secured court orders freezing the assets, which also includes jewellery and motorbikes, and which were seized following raids at various locations in March last year.

The CAB's proceedings were against Liam Byrne, which it said was a member of the Kinahan gang, and several of his associates. Mr Byrne's brother David was shot dead in the Regency Hotel in February 2016.

The CAB said the items were the proceeds of crime.

The agency stated the vehicles, linked to a bogus car sales company, were used by the Kinahan crime group as currency for services and for laundering money.

In February, the court appointed a receiver over the cars and granted orders allowing the receiver to sell the vehicles.

It sought the sales order because the vehicles were depreciating in value.

The court put a stay on that order pending any application to the courts by any of the individuals linked to the assets.

When the matter returned before Ms Justice Carmel Stewart yesterday, she said she was satisfied to lift the stay, except in relation to one car where one of the respondents had filed a sworn statement.

Several lawyers representing the parties, including Tony McGillicuddy BL, for Mr Byrne, had asked the court for an additional week before lifting the stay, which he said would be beneficial to the CAB.

Mr McGillicuddy said his client wanted the extra time so he could provide CAB with correspondence in relation to one of the vehicles. Separately, the barrister said his client was concerned about publicity the proceedings had received in the media.

He would be making an application to the court on Mr Byrne's behalf to have the remainder of the case heard in private. Several other lawyers representing some of the other respondents said they would be supporting the application to have the case heard in private.

The judge, after rejecting applications to continue the stay on all but one of the vehicles, adjourned the case to April 24.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News