Thursday 29 September 2016

Businessman Denis O'Brien injunction application against RTE adjourned

Tim Healy ​

Published 01/05/2015 | 11:33

Businessman Denis O'Brien (Ramin Talaie/Bloomberg)
Businessman Denis O'Brien (Ramin Talaie/Bloomberg)

BUSINESSMAN Denis O'Brien's injunction application against RTE over a proposed broadcast report in relation to his private banking affairs has been adjourned on consent between the parties in the High Court.

  • Go To

The court heard RTE has in the meantime undertaken not to broadcast certain matters in the report which was due to go out today (Friday May 1).

Mr O'Brien says there is no public interest in details in relation to his confidential private banking arrangements with Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC).

Michael Cush SC, for Mr O'Brien, was given permission on Thursday (April 30) by Mr Justice Paul Gilligan to serve at short notice on RTE his intention to seek the injunction.  

The application, made ex-parte (only one side represented) basis, was returned to today when lawyers for RTE and IBRC were also present.

Mr Cush said the case would not be going ahead today and the matter was adjourned briefly to allow the parties talk.

When it resumed, Mr Cush said it had been agreed to adjourn the matter to May 12 and that RTE would reply to the O'Brien side by May 7.   In the meantime, RTE had undertaken not to publish certain material referred to in the proceedings.

Michael Collins SC, for IBRC, said his client had a separate but related case against RTE and he sought permission for that to be before the court on May 12 along with the O'Brien proceedings.

Mr Justice Gilligan agreed to adjourn the matter to May 12.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News