Bus tragedy accused says he's sorry
Published 11/12/2012 | 05:00
A DEAF man replied "I am sorry about him, it was an accident" when he was charged with killing a man who fell under a Dublin Bus.
Eoghan Dudley (28), who was originally from Rathfarnham, suffered horrific head injuries after he fell under the double decker bus following an altercation at the junction of Dawson Street and Nassau Street in Dublin city centre during rush hour last Thursday evening.
Edward Connors, whose latest address is a hostel in the city's northside, was arrested in connection with the incident and detained at Pearse Street garda station. He has been in custody since Friday, which was also his 29th birthday.
Yesterday morning he was brought before Judge David McHugh at Dublin District Court.
Mr Connors, who is deaf and had the proceedings translated by a sign interpreter, was dressed in a navy tracksuit and held out his lawyer's business card when asked who he wanted to represent him.
Mr Connors, who had been living at Judge Darley House, a hostel in Dublin 7, is accused of the manslaughter of Mr Dudley at Dawson Street and did not apply for bail at his brief hearing yesterday.
Detective Garda Connor O Braonain told the court that, when Mr Connors was charged on Saturday night, he replied: "I am sorry about him. It was an accident."
Defence solicitor Cahir O'Higgins asked for legal aid to be granted to his client and for him to get necessary medical attention in custody as he relies on a methadone prescription.
Judge McHugh granted free legal aid to him.
He was remanded in custody and his next hearing will take place at Cloverhill District Court on December 13.
Mr Dudley was identified two days after his death after his father recognised a description in this newspaper and contacted gardai.
Mr Dudley's father Seamus told the Irish Independent that his son was not homeless.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie