Brazilian had 64 stab wounds, trial is told
A Brazilian man whose partially decomposed body was found lying in a drain in a remote Kerry bog had been stabbed 64 times, a court heard.
Bruno Lemes de Sousa (28) suffered a "sustained and violent" attack with stab wounds to the face, neck, chest, abdomen and arms that penetrated bones, muscle and his major blood vessels and vital organs.
John Paul Cawley (22), of Ardoughter, Ballyduff, Co Kerry, denies murdering the Brazilian at Shronowen Bog, Listowel between February 16 and 17, 2012.
Mr Cawley was arrested on March 11, 2012, following information given at Clonmel Garda station.
The court heard that his brother Charlie led gardaí to Shronowen Bog, where the Brazilian's remains were lying in a drain with his hands bound.
The court heard Charlie had waited in a car with his sister Sandra and her two young children, while John Paul and Sandra's former partner, Wenio Rodriguez da Silva, took the Brazilian man into the bog.
He said they returned some time later without him. Charlie Cawley told the trial: "Wenio was kind of smirking and laughing. John Paul started off like that too. Then he was quiet."
In her evidence, Sandra Cawley said: "They were saying the way they stabbed Bruno. John Paul said, 'I stabbed Bruno once in the heart'."
Assistant state pathologist Dr Margot Bolster carried out a post mortem examination.
She concluded that he had died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple stab wounds, with blunt force trauma to the head and body.
The Central Criminal Court in Tralee heard evidence that Mr Lemes de Sousa called to the address at Ballyduff on February 16 to sell a car.
Prosecuting counsel Conor Devally said "matters got out of hand", which resulted in the victim being beaten then taken the bog and "savagely killed".
The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie